Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Counter Surfing Dog Correction -by Boots N Lace

Proper Timing and Correction Dog Training Tip:
Many dogs have the poor manners of chins, front paws, or worse ALL 4 paws on the counter/table. Owners then contact me going "Wth? How did he get there? He never did that before!" Sure he did, you just weren't paying attention!
The trick to managing your dogs behavior is EARLY correction. Don't wait for the action of actually jumping or climbing. Correct it at LOOKING or "eyeing." Dogs follow their noses by instinct as that is how they see their world. THEN they eye. Then they put their mouth up there. It takes THOSE steps, but if you weren't paying attention you missed YOUR cue. Once the dog starts, you can't stop them. I then hear "he knows better, he cowers when I scold him." Eh, well, easier to say sorry than get permission right?
To correct looking, a negative tone of "Eh-Eh" is usually enough for most dogs. When I'm training I will even "bait" the dog by putting ham or bacon on the edge of the counter. They have to remain in a sit, stay, and LOOKING AT ME (imperative) before I then give the food to them.
For the more "hell bent" dog, that the above negative don't work on, I use the squirt bottle mixture and hard spray setting. I will advance to an e-collar if the dog has history of counter surfing and wants to get up when my back is turned or I am out of the room (a whole other topic piece.)
Manners Matter!
-Boots N Lace



No comments:

Post a Comment