Thursday, June 2, 2016

Who is "Stuck in the City"?

Who is "Stuck in the city"?

Well, I'm just that. Stuck, but for all the right reasons. I didn't get stuck on accident.
I was born in a once rural town in Illinois. I was born and bred country. It had became extremely urban and My parents wanted out. We moved to a small farming town. My grandma taught me everything from gardening to sewing in that little town.
At 18, I went against everyone and ran off with the man of my dreams. 6 weeks after the wedding, he left for his deployment. He came home in one piece, but it definitely changed his city slicker priorities. We eventually worked our way up to a farmette with chickens, ducks, turkey, and whatever else we found to keep us company.
We later had a little runt of our own. Soon after her arrival, my husband took a job in Wisconsin that would require us to move and stay in the city while we saved money. The job required us to sacrifice the home we had, but it allowed for so much more.
After moving, I FINALLY got a doctor to confirm what I had known all along. I had an autoimmune disease genetically derived from my mother. The catch? She wouldn't treat it. Doctor after doctor refused to help. Because my grandma took me foraging, I started getting into that to help with mobility. As I learned what I could eat, I also learned what could medicate. I took my health and my sanity back. I'm a very firm believer in modern medicine, but this opened up a new world. Because of these plants (that I doubted would do ANYTHING to help) I am no longer on medications, healthy, and mostly sane.
Now, I sit here, stuck in the city. I patiently wait for the day I can get out of it, but until then, it was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment